Maybe after the recent Melbourne downpours, you’ve noticed there is water pooling, or other signs of blockage in a few areas of your downpipes and guttering. Or it could be your spouting has become loose, damaged or worn. If any of these are occurring at your property, then you have two options, you can either call Strong Life Downpipes And Guttering Replacement Company, or you can ‘have a go’ of restoring them yourself.
Climbing up a ladder to replace spouting can be extremely risky. The AIH&W reported ‘almost half a million people a year were hospitalised in Australia as a result of an injury in 2011–12’ and the main cause of accidental injury was due to falls (far more than traffic accidents).
So if you do choose to replace downpipes and guttering yourself, there are a few things you need to be aware of.
If you haven’t had the chance to read our blog Ladder Use For Dummies, do so now. Many of the dangers associated with replacing downpipes and guttering are due to incorrect usage of ladders. Always remember you are going to be working at a height that is far enough above the ground to do serious damage if you fall. And if you are over fifty the recommendation is that you don’t climb a ladder at all.
The first step you need to achieve is to remove the old downpipes and guttering. Generally, our Strong Life consultants suggest a complete downpipes and guttering replacement, we don’t advise this to make more money, our recommendations are for these reasons,
- usually it’s quite difficult to get partial replacement guttering to match what’s already there
- if there’s a problem in one area of guttering, the chances are there are problems elsewhere
- new downpipes and guttering often seals more tightly than a mix of older and new piping
- Colorbond has made so many advances in colours, technology and style, so a complete renovation often simply looks a lot better.
Removal of old guttering can be an amazingly tricky job, and you’d be best to ask a mate who’s had a lot of repair experience to give you a hand. However, you need to be aware that you are responsible for your helper’s safety when they are on your property, and you have an obligation to discuss OH&S issues with them.
Generally, the process to remove old gutters is to cut or prise loose the clips holding the guttering on, removing them, and taking down the guttering. Removing old downpipes follows the same process. Sounds easy doesn’t it? Looks easy on this Bunnings YouTube Video as well. However, what the presenter doesn’t tell you is, replacing guttering and downpipes is actually a lot more difficult than it looks, for example,
- unless you’ve had a lot of experience handling the tools the presenter uses, it’s a lot more difficult to fix the new replacement guttering back onto your house
- it can be amazingly tricky to get a watertight seal between pipes
- many properties, especially older Melbourne homes, have tough iron spouting and roofing valleys that are quite difficult to work with. Similarly, they can also have problems such as exposed wiring and rotting fascia boards that hide bigger replacement problems.
Furthermore, the Bunnings presenter fails to address all the dangers you need to be aware of, for example,
- many properties’ guttering is a lot higher than shown in this video. Chances are you are going to need an extendable ladder and you need to address all the added issues that brings.
- often there is uneven ground, bushes, trees, sheds and fences to manoeuvre around, you will need to be extremely careful when you are working near them
- there aren’t many properties that don’t have guttering near some type of electricity wires. You need to be super aware of what wires are near your guttering, and always remember electricity can kill.
- SafeWork Australia has a fabulously detailed fact sheet detailing how to minimise risks you could encounter while working on roofs.
But, of course, if you don’t want to take all the risks of replacing your guttering and downpipes yourself, you can always take advantage of Strong Life Roof and Guttering’s 18 months interest free finance, our seniors discount, or simple our obligation free inspection, and let us do the job for you.
For any information about Strong Life Guttering and Downpipe Replacement Service, or to arrange a free quote from one of our team of guttering and roofing experts, phone Strong Life (03) 9310 4455, enquire online, use our live chat service on our website or email